Write Me

Elder Burr
California Los Angeles Mission
1591 East Temple Way
Los Angeles, CA 90024


alexander.burr@myldsmail.net

www.californialosangelesmission.blogspot.com

Monday, May 5, 2014

Wad-up Cuz and I love College

WOW! This is area is way different than Torrance. So my last area was pretty much Utah, now we are just living in the hood. We are the only white people in our neighborhood. Black people are so awesome and crazy. We live at Crenshaw and Jefferson. hahah I can’t get over how funny it is to say that out loud. Creenshaaaw and jefahsun. It’s crazy because USC is like this multi-million dollar place that gets so much money, and literally right outside of it is just utter poverty. It’s super sad.

haha I know the Lords house is a house of order, but the mission forgot we were moving into a new place and we didn't have power from Tuesday to like Friday. It felt like I was camping, using a headlight to write in my journal and brush my teeth. haha!!

Oh MAN! USC is nuts, finals are this week, but I have no idea how these students find time to study, all they do is drink alcohol all day and all night!! The institute building is right next to the frat houses. This area has so much potential. So we are the first Elders ever to focus on just USC, and the last Elders didn't come here ever because it was too far. So pretty much we are starting this area off fresh. A lot of relying on the Lord will go down.

MIRACLE!!! Regina got baptized!! ( Regina is Leo's sister) I was so so so sad that I could not finish teaching her, but pretty much 6 days after Leo got baptized, she just knew it was right and she didn't need her husband to join with her like she thought she did, she just trusted in the Lord and went for it. They are a super solid FAMILY. Her two kids are the cutest ahh man!!! I need to send you guys a picture of them. But I have a testimony that it is the Lord that guides this work and not us fools that can’t even speak the language.

Hey, Family, thank you so much for the love on my birthday!! Amanda, your gift was so awesome, I have a goal to memorize like 60 a week! Thank you and for the D&C!!! I am literally the only missionary in LA that has this stuff. And family the photo album was awesome and Grandma thank you so much for writing me! I hope that Dad's foot gets better. Tori, don't listen to him, if he wants you to get him a cherry-coke, you can’t do it!

I also wanted to share a little miracle, that God answers our prayers!
So pretty much, I am doing walking missionary work and street contacting for the first time on my mission. We could never do it in Torrance because it just wasn't effective, but it kind of works here. So about 30 minutes in, I feel like we need to say a prayer to find a new investigator. Like 2 and half hours past and we have nothing, at this point it’s 8:45 and we should head home to make it back by 9pm. We go in grab a drink from the church building and are ready to go when I say to my comp, “hey, let’s just talk to one more person." And we did, we went out and we got a return appointment with Adam, a guy from Guang Zhou China. I love it! I love just going one more, just giving God a little more. Talk to one more person, give up one more bad habit, read my scripture a little longer, pray a little more meaningfully. Yeah, I feel like often our actions satisfy God, but when we sacrifice that little bit, He is overwhelmed with joy. That we had all the reasons not to, but we chose to follow him.

I love you guys, I can’t wait to talk to you on Sunday, I will call around like 5pm or maybe 2pm.

Elder Burr
CLAM International Zone

No comments:

Post a Comment