Write Me

Elder Burr
California Los Angeles Mission
1591 East Temple Way
Los Angeles, CA 90024


alexander.burr@myldsmail.net

www.californialosangelesmission.blogspot.com

Monday, May 19, 2014

I'm a seminary teacher . . . kind of

So we started a Chinese Institute Class!! And we are going through 1 Nephi this summer. You may even be able to get 1 credit for it. It is super stressful but hopefully will yield fruits for the kingdom!

So while I was preparing for the lesson, I read something in chapter 1 that really stood out. I feel like I was taught this in seminary a long time ago...but I probably forgot....or had skipped class. Anyways ( my sins are behind me don't skip class Mellissa and Tina and Becky).

Lehi leaves behind everything and goes to the wilderness. In the scriptures it says he leaves his gold, silver and his precious things and takes with him his family, necessities of life, and a tent. Then right after that, he builds an altar of sacrifice and gives thanks to the Lord. And I never ever noticed this before! Lehi takes the time to stop, build an alter and kill a lamb because he is so grateful for what he has. And it’s not the tent or the provisions, it’s his family. And he is so grateful that the Lord showed him the way that he could preserve his family and they could continue to be with him. I love this! I love that even 3000 years ago, the core principles of Jesus Christ's gospel are the same. Families! Even 3000 years ago, this Gospel taught that families are the most important unit in this life and in eternity. Lehi knew this!! He read the Book of Life!! This is the restored Church of Christ. It’s not just some American Church or some good worldwide church, but it is THE WAY we go back to live with God.

I am so grateful for my family! I am so grateful for the felt boards that taught me bible stories, and for the cartoons and for all the family home evenings for the firesides you took me to and for waking me up in the morning to go to the temple. Thank you for going to Church every week to show me that this was important to you! Thank you for attending all the meetings and paying fast offerings and paying tithing. These and so many more things are things that taught me that molded me. That gave me the testimony that I now share with all these other people.

I know for a fact I can’t convert people past my own conversion, and a Gospel-centered home was what allowed me to be converted. I don't know why but the song “Tell me the stories of Jesus" keeps playing in my head. I am so grateful that my parents told me the stories of Jesus, my Savior and friend!!

I am not sure why this letter turned into the way it did. Sorry if it was weird!

I love you all and have a great week!
-Elder Burr

No comments:

Post a Comment