Write Me

Elder Burr
California Los Angeles Mission
1591 East Temple Way
Los Angeles, CA 90024


alexander.burr@myldsmail.net

www.californialosangelesmission.blogspot.com

Monday, October 21, 2013

Tsai Niao


Tsai Niao (vegetable bird) that is the term for greenies in the Chinese District,

Dang, 2nd week, everything just moves so fast, its hard keeping it all together!!  Finding Chinese people is hard in Palos Verdes ( well, receptive Chinese people) the China Town is in the Arcadia Mission so we have to really come up with strange finding methods.  So the Chinese mission in LA is split into Chinese A and Chinese B, I am in Chinese B and we cover the southern part, while Chinese A covers the north (which has UCLA and USC which have a lot more Chinese people) Its funny, right in between the A and B is South Central where the ghetto and the shootings are, most of it is red-zoned and you can’t go there without a member, preferably a big black member.  But I would have to be transferred to A first, and that may not happen for a couple transfers. But like I said, we are really trying to get South LA Chinese to take off. We are teaching two English Classes a week, we mostly have pretty wild people show up. To find actually Chinese jiaren is the problem we are having. Because for every 20 houses is a Chinese family, so tracking is just too ineffective, ahhh its frustrating because as we drive around I see them, but street contacting is pretty ineffective too! 

Hey mom and dad, learning Chinese out here is hard because half my lessons are in English!!  Could you send me some like audio Chinese Book of Mormons I could listen to in the car, like a dictionary with the 500 most used Chinese words ( preferably pinyen not buh puh muh fuh), ( mom, don’t send stuff for writing characters, that is so far in the future!!) But anything that could help, cause AHHH I know why this is the hardest language on Earth!! But yeah, CD's of people talking in Chinese would be way awesome, cause I get a lot of “ting bu dong!” (What!?!?)

Our investigators are pretty freakin tight though, we have Queeni, she is a JW (jehovah witness) but she said that if she knew the BOM was true, she would change. We have this guy, Betal, who is working here illegally and has a crappy job that makes him work on Sunday, but the MP cleared him for baptism cause he is GOLDEN. Now he just has to get a Saturday and Sunday off. It ripped my heart out to not see any of our investigators come to Church, but we just got to continue to teach them and help them understand why Church and remembering our Savior is the most important thing they can be doing in their life. 

I love you all so much, sometimes I'll be driving late at night and ill think " are you kidding me, I’m on mission right now!!" and it’s the best feeling I have ever felt and its what keeps me going.

Bu ZL

No comments:

Post a Comment