Write Me

Elder Burr
California Los Angeles Mission
1591 East Temple Way
Los Angeles, CA 90024


alexander.burr@myldsmail.net

www.californialosangelesmission.blogspot.com

Monday, October 28, 2013

Peninsula Branch

Week 3, dad you would just be getting to Hong Kong if I were you and you were me and I would use your body to get to the top!!
Thank you family so much for getting me the language study materials!!! I have to eat and sleep Chinese if I want to keep it in my brain!!
 The Chinese program is still green, we are trying to figure out how to get the IN on the Asian community. I feel like a cop. We drive around all drive, on the prowl for Chinese people. We have been hitting up orchestra shin digs and Chinese school, things Chinese people love. they love working their kids to the bone, that's half the problem right there. We never have time to meet with them cause they are working or taking their kid to soccer/acting/violin/dance/math. But man, there is this Church called The Bread of Life, and it is the great and abominable church that Nephi saw. A ton of Asians go to it, and they have like an Anti-Mormon class and sermons. We were teaching a lady the was baptized into that church, and they other ladies found out and they just fed all this stuff to her aaah!! Im going over to ask her to hem my pants and we will see how it goes. BUT we had an awesome lesson the Jehovah Witness. Its amazing what people can learn from the spirit. I have been trying to make myself small and let the Lord and the Spirit teach.
Like we were teaching the JW Queenie, we just tried to be as simple as possible, and she totally got it. She was like, " yeah, that makes sense, Gods power was gone from the Earth and he needed to restore it."
but with teaching ahhh, I really need to change how I teach. D&C 50:15-22 slapped me in the face!! Pretty much, I need to stop thinking that a perfectly fabricated lesson, with the right words at the right time and the right whatever will convince someone that it is all true, this "step aside spirit, I can handle this," mentality will never work. Ahh I need to make myself as small as possible and let these wonderful people build a relationship with Heavenly Father and Christ.
It is crazy, the thing I love the most about the mission is also causing me the most grief. When we meet a family, I can see it so clearly, I can see what the Gospel will do for their lives, how much joy and peace and comfort and direction they will feel on a daily basis, I can see the love they have for their families already, and how much peace it will bring to them when they truly on their bones believe that they will live with them forever. I love it!!
But then, the plummet of my soul happens. They don't show up to church, they don't keep their commitments, we cant meet with them more than once a week, and they don't progress. aahhhh, but I am the clay in my masters hand ( Elder Gowdy told me this) and the more I am pounded the softer I become and the easier it is for Him to mold me into what he wants me to be. I lobe you all, I am having the time of my life in the Los Angeles California Mission!!
Bu ZL
Dragon Ally
My el ninos
the lake friends and all, can we pull out a win, only Colby Bryan can tell us that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment