Write Me

Elder Burr
California Los Angeles Mission
1591 East Temple Way
Los Angeles, CA 90024


alexander.burr@myldsmail.net

www.californialosangelesmission.blogspot.com

Monday, February 3, 2014

A New Year

Hey Family,
Sorry about the lack of email's the past couple weeks, so we totally set aside time for emails last week, but we get to the library, and I get all settled in and ready to share my personal small plates of Alex Burr and we get a call from our Ward Mission Leader and the Branch President all wanting to move around our investigators baptismal date, it was an intense hour and a half but it all worked out good. So last week, I guess you could say I was too busy to email because I was baptizing, which seems like a pretty good deal!!!

So this Saturday, Lisa got baptized!! If you don’t know Lisa, she is Betal Liu's wife. If you don’t know Betal Liu, let me refer you back to my November emails. So about a month after I came to Los Angeles, Betal was baptized. He was taught by Elder Bergeson and Elder Bowman. A week after he was baptized, Elder Bergeson’s time was up and he went home, so Elder Bowman and I started to teach him the New Convert Lessons. And His wife started to sit in on the lessons! So as we taught the lessons to Betal and Lisa learned them for the first time because before she didn’t have an interest, but after seeing the change in her husband, she wanted to learn more and at the beginning of like our 2nd lesson she just comes up to us and said "I want to be baptized, I want to be sealed in the temple".  It was so awesome. It was such a miracle from the Lord that she turned towards the Gospel, because when I first met her, she had no interest at all. But she started praying with her husband, she came to church to see him get confirmed, she was touched by the spirit and she knew it was true. That was what turned her heart around, the spirit of Christ which is in all of us, that helps us realize our divine heritage!!  It was also so awesome seeing Betal baptized her! A complete family, that’s pretty cool to think about.

Sunday came, and it was Fast Sunday, Samson and Tiffany and Betal all shared their testimonies. Samson is so funny, he shared a story that they were up in Chinatown shopping on the day of Lisa’s baptism, and Tiffany wanted to go to this one shop or something and when they finally made it there, it was time to turn around and come to the baptism, and she did. Samson said something like, “changing a girl is hard,  changing a girl that loves to shop is impossible, but the gospel can do anything." haha it was way funny, everyone in the Branch loves them.

So Darren and Wenqi are getting baptized this Saturday, they are also a hilarious young couple that I love and care for with all my heart. So they were being taught back in like September and were all ready to be baptized but they had to go back to China and get married, so they left for China and when they came back in January, they were a little different. They had not been reading or praying and they really had lost their faith and didn’t want to be baptized anymore, but  it was such a miracle, we had Samson and Tiffany go with us to a lesson, and them sharing their own experience and their own testimonies of faith and enduring to the end, really changed them, and Darren and Wenqi started to coming to Church again and reading and they found their faith. It was such a miracle that Samson and Tiffany got baptized when they did, they are so similar to Darren and Wenqi and were the perfect match for them!

Well, transfers also came, Elder Bowman is going to UCLA and I am staying in the Branch down in Palos Verdes/ Torrance. BUT they are splitting our area so 2 Chinese elders will have PV and 2 will have Torrance. So I am moving apartments, which I am pretty happy for because I am sick of having to massacre the ants that invade our apartment every night at like 4 in the morning. My new companion is Elder Chun from Hong Kong, so his dirty Cantonese will corrupt my dirty Mandarin!! He came in a couple months after me, which means I am going Senior....whatever that means. JK I know what that means, ya li duo yi dian!! MORE PRESSURE!! But hey, if we never had trials or stresses in our life, we would never become the person God wants us to be. So many times we see people who are comfortable in their life. Whether you are on the mission or at home, the rule still applies, you are either moving forward or you are moving backwards. I am so grateful I have a loving perfect Heavenly Father who gave me the opportunity to have ETERNAL progression, and who gave me this time on Earth to prepare for that life. I am so grateful that he loves me enough to hurt me, so that when I return to live with Him, I am ready, and I become the person He knew I could be.

I love you all so much, I know I am forgetting something, but it will have to wait.

-Elder Burr
Betal and Lisa Liu

No comments:

Post a Comment