Write Me

Elder Burr
California Los Angeles Mission
1591 East Temple Way
Los Angeles, CA 90024


alexander.burr@myldsmail.net

www.californialosangelesmission.blogspot.com

Monday, March 24, 2014

Week 30

After Wu Ji's baptism fell through, I started to study a little bit more about baptism, why it happens, why is it such a big deal to us missionaries? I kind of just accepted it, I never really understood why?

I eventually ended up in D&C 20:37, and it listed all the things we do to qualify for baptism. I realized that remission of sins does not save us, that covenanting with God (no matter how blasphemous this sounds) does not save us. It is everything we do and learn BEFORE we get baptized that saves us and then it is the Gift of the Holy Ghost, the most amazing Gift from our Heavenly Father, that helps us stay on that path. (2 Nephi 31:17-18)

Look, before all the investigators get baptized, I want them to meet that standard in D&C 20:37, being humble, repentant, having a broken heart and a contrite spirit. Because these things signify they now understand that we can’t make it on our own. We cannot have a fullness of joy in this life or the next on our own. We are in a fallen state. But at the same time, the investigators (and ourselves) realize that we have a loving Heavenly Father, who we can trust. We can trust his commandments to guide us home, we have hope and joy. We know what we need to do and we know in whom we can trust. And at that point, we get baptized. And then the Holy Ghost can testify to us every day, we are on that straight and narrow path, we are the found sheep and the good shepherd has put us on His shoulders and we are among our brothers and sisters in the fold.

Baptism is just an appendage; the real thing (as it has always been) is being converted unto Christ. Is trusting in the arm of God and not in the arm of man. I hope I can strive every day to remember this, I am so grateful for this chance to bring people unto Christ.

I love you all, I hope you have a great week. That is so awesome you went to Hailey’s farewell, you guys are all so cool. Everyone looks so grown up! I miss you all more than you can know.

Love,
Elder Burrito Jr. (El Burrito Jr is a pretty slick restaurant, I’ll snap a pic next week)

No comments:

Post a Comment